WAITING FOR THE POT TO BOIL (PART II)

.



Friday, October 15, 2004

And That's All I Have to Say About that

I am a daddy's girl, there is no doubt about it. My mom and I are best friends, but my dad and I have a very unique bond. I have known about the topic I write about today for a little while, but I haven't been able to write about it before. My dad just got diagnosed with this, and he has to have this surgery on a pituitary tumor they found. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but after the surgery my dad has to be in ICU and I don't like that at all. Every time I think about my dad and hospitals, all I can picture is the one time he came to visit Chris in the hospital when he broke his ankle. We were in the emergency room and I spotted my dad walking across the crowded room. He has such presence, as if he just belonged there. No one questioned him, no one stopped him or asked him where he was going. Oh, they noticed him. Nurses and doctors acknowledged him, with a differential nod. I hate the thought of my dad in a hospital as a patient. My dad runs marathons and ultra-marathons. He works out and lifts weights. I go to my mom for the emotional stuff and my dad when I want to hear it straight. My dad helps me be tough when I want to be weak. I always brag about how my dad is the second in command of an entire state hospital, he has two masters degrees and was once in charge of a budget of over a million dollars. But I also brag how my dad sticks things in his nose, and waits for me or my mom to notice, and he is very patient. My dad is famous for his BBQs, his homemade pancakes and his "barking spiders". My dad stashes away canned "smoothies" as if they may stop making them at any moment. He is as mechanically disinclined as I am domestically disabled. I don't want him in a hospital, not for one second. Period. And that's all I have to say about that

No comments: