WAITING FOR THE POT TO BOIL (PART II)

.



Thursday, January 06, 2005

Wow, I Guess Sometimes a Watched Pot DOES Boil

I am kind of still in shock right now. I took a HPT--one thick dark line. I took this test in the middle of the night, so I probably slept off the worst of the heartache. Woke up told Chris, he "knew." Told my mom, she gave me a big hug. Told her, well at least I can stop taking the progesterone. Chris will be happy about that. Went into the bathroom to take a shower. Decided to take one last look at the HPT, (how many times have we all done this--as if it would miraculously change?)... but it did. There it was, a faint second line. And then I made a complete ass of myself. Not only screaming, but just wearing a towel (we are VERY modest in my parent's house), I ran out to the breakfast table and shouted at my husband AND my parents, "I was wrong, there is another line, I think I AM pregnant!" and ran off screaming to take a shower. What happened to the MANY ways I planned on telling Chris--in cool, original, but most important private, ways? Poor Chris was pounding on the door, which in my excitement I inadvertently locked. When I finally opened the door, he was really upset with me--rightly so! Not only was he mad that I spilled the beans to everyone all at once, he said, "This already happened and it wasn't true." Oh, yeah, that. I forgot to tell you guys about that. About six months ago we had a false alarm. I don't know if it was chemical or a bad test, but it really, really hurt. So Chris immediately went online and found me a place to get a blood test. In the mean time I took a second pregnancy test, which was negative. I disgustedly threw it in the trash, and thought, oh no, now what have I done? More upset for Chris than me. So I decided, we should get the test anyway. Right before we left, dug the second test out of the trash can, (how many times have I done that? A lot!) I was sure a second line was going to be there---and it was. Very faint. So, took the blood test. Best $27 I ever spent! And thus began the longest five hours of my life. 4pm finally rolls around and I called. "It is positive, but very, very light, very early." The nurse said. "Like, chemical pregnancy early, or like went on vacation on December 20th, early?" She laughed and said, "Yeah like that." So here I sit. Sometimes I can't breathe. Tomorrow's post will be how Chris is taking it. He is hilarious. I have started calling him the Pregnancy Police.

Today I am 4w2d and my projected due date is September 12th. My first ultrasound/pre-natal visit is January 24th. I am aware how fleeting this could potentially be, but today I am pregnant. Today, I am so thankful, and I will be thankful for every day I get. Sorry this took so long to POST but I had some people to tell. Talk to you soon!

7 comments:

Brina said...

Ok, I'm all emotional, I can't stop crying! And no, it is not MY hormones, I am just SO incredibly happy for you! I'm really happy you chose to share it with me in person and I can't wait to be there for you every step of the way. Any questions, wierd pregnancy stuff, shopping, oh, I'm so excited for you guys and your little bean. Even though I never had to experience it personally, I know how difficult this has been for you guys, and I am so relieved that your dream is finally coming true! Better start sleeping now, you'll need it!

Dee said...

The best $27 indeed--oh, Becky, what great news! Quiet congrats to you and Chris and I'm sending so many good wishes for a sticky bean that flourishes. Can't wait to hear about the u/s on the 24th--fly by days!

In the meantime, I'll be thinking of you (all three--or maybe more--of you) and sending lots of good vibes your way. You've got the right attitude--enjoy every day!

XOXO to you....

Anonymous said...

Congrats! And hopful thoughts for the future. After trying for 7 years my husband and I just did an IVF cycle that worked and are 11 weeks pregnant. I did exactly what you did. I told lots of people as soon as we knew and went into it with the "I'm pregnant until someone tells me I'm not" attitude. It felt so good each day to realized that at least for now I was pregnant.

Congrats again and keep that positivie spirit.
AuntPam7

Jen said...

Becky,

What wonderful news! So glad to hear it! I'll be keeping fingers crossed for you.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say YAY!!!

Kelly Jeanie

Rebecca said...

you guys have made this feel more real, thank you! Wait til you hear the 2 posts i am working on. my internet access is super limited, it's driving me crazy! Love you all!!!!!!!!!!!

watched pot

VHMPrincess said...

Congratulations! Very happy for you both!!!!!!!